Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Humbled

I am humbled by a friend of mine today.

I saw her (she shall now be known as Teally in vodkatauren) online today, and gave her a greeting message.
I asked how was she doing. Which she answered; tired.
Why?
Because she just came back from her doing her humanitarian work.
Teally went to the beach near to Crown Prince Hotel to help out the fishermen who lived there.
Houses smashed, boats wrecked, family and friends lost.........
I cannot imagine what they are going through.
But I think that the simple act of cleaning up after the disaster is a step towards piecing their lives back to order.

I had no idea of the magnitude of this tragedy on Sunday, and still not much on Monday.
Today, Tuesday, after talking to my friend, I think I am starting to know.

I am humbled, because while my friend helped the victims, I went to watch Kung Fu Hustle.
I am humbled, because while my friend's generosity spanned to people unknown, I can't look beyond the people I know.
I am humbled, because while my friend talked about their suffering, I talked about me having a hard time believing that Penang was struck by disaster.
I am indeed humbled.

So.... I salute you, my friend Teally, and all the other selfless volunteers.
I swear upon my mother's grave, even though she is not yet dead, that I will at least make a donation to the tsunami fund.

And yo! Teally, drinks on me the next time we meet up.

1 Comments:

Blogger GUBĀ² said...

WTF? I am being serious

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home