Sunday, December 12, 2004

My Discus

One of my babies just laid eggs. Yahooooo!!!!!!!!! (not the search engine)
She laid them on the magnetic scrubber that I no longer use.
Unfortunately, I suspect that there is no husband to that endeavor.
Those eggs are not fertile, they will not hatch.
But it's all still very exciting for me. At least I know that I am keeping these babies in a condition good enough to promote breeding.

I am talking about my fish. I keep 10 discus in 2 four-feet bare-bottom tanks.
Bought them from a breeder at a cheap price, RM170 for 11 fish.
Yeah, one died.

Discus came from the Amazon River, South America.
They had been selectively bred until they have become so much more colourful then their original selves. Recently, the wild breeds too have become very popular (not in Malaysia though, I think).
Discus are pretty famed for their difficulty to keep. But in my opinion, it is not that hard.
They need clean water, first and foremost. Good filter and consistent water changes are a must.
Water changes is a daily routine for me, almost an hour a day changing 60% of the tank water.
I'm far from an expert, so I'll stop my how-to here.

This is going to contradict what I’ve written earlier.
The reason I got a spawn today is due to the water change last night.
What is so different about last night’s WC compared to all the other WCs?
The difference is that I haven’t changed their water for more than 2 weeks.
That led the discus to think that it is the dry season. When I changed the water last night, it would appear to them that the raining season has arrived. Signifying that food will be abundant for everyone.
I believe that triggered one of my discus to start laying eggs. Without a husband fish. Infertile eggs. No discus wrigglers.

But never mind that, I am still happy about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home