Saturday, February 26, 2005

Daylight Robbery

I was thinking about the CNY that has passed.
And suddenly the memory came back to me.
That I was robbed on the 2nd day of CNY!!!

A whole gang of relatives were about to leave after the CNY visitings, so all were congregating by the door waiting for their turn to put on their shoes and leave.
Spotting me, my aunt, sister of my mother, came to me with a receipt book, asking for donation.
Oh crap! I've noticed her earlier and was hoping that she'll spare my pitiful soul and wallet.
Her timing was great, as I was surrounded by people.
No escape for me now.

Me: Hah? Donation ah? For what?

Robber: This donation is to help build temple. (She has helped build many many temples, considering the amount of times she has asked for donations)

Me: I'm not a believer wor. Still need to donate meh?

Robber: Can still donate what. It is good to help the temple.

MFs: Ya ya. It is a good thing. Good karma.

Me: Sigh.... okay......

Robber: Resistance is futile.


*MFs = Mindless Followers

I've often wondered what would happen if I take a verbal stand against their religious belief.
But as often as I am tempted, I always shelfed the urges to it.
Mom and dad did a good job on the respect-your-elders rules, even if only superficially.

2 Comments:

Blogger ks said...

I been robbed thrice already this month. 1st was for the one month old colleague's first baby - "mua guek".

2nd was for one director's farewell gift.

And then for donation or "pek kim" for the passing of an ex-colleague's husband.

All happened in broad daylight in the opis!

8:17 PM  
Blogger 5xmom.com said...

Hahaha, I am a daylight robber too. During the CNY relatives gathering, my son took out his St. Xavier Int. borang derma (school raise donation for orphans/old folks) and ask every relatives for donation. They go, huh? give you angpow liao, somemore must donate. *muahahaha*

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home